A leading Oleo chemicals manufacturer having their head quarter in Europe and multiple production facilities world wide has full fledged wastewater treatment facilities at their European production site. The plant comprise of chemical pre treatment with Dissolved Air flotation unit followed by suspended growth biological reactor with lamella clarifier.
Due to planned expansion of the production facilities, the plant was expecting higher wastewater flows which required to be treated in the same existing infrastructure due to space restrictions. The plant required to achieve a total treatment of 1440 m3/day after full expansions.
- Plant Required to treat higher flows to the tune of 1440 m3/day in the same plant
- Inlet COD values flcutuates between 2500-3500 ppm
- Outlet COD requirement for treated effluent is 80-100 ppm
Major Problems Faced:
- Shock loads disturbing the process
- Reduced COD reduction
- Poor process recovery after the shock load disturbance
The Solution of Oleochemical wastewater treatment
Based on our initial consideration and after pilot runs at the site, it was decided to convert the existing suspended growth Aerobic reactor in to Levapor based IFAS reactor by adding Levapor media at 15 % filling.
After modification the plant was expected to achieve total treatment capacity of 1440 m3/day.
After successful commissioning and implementation of Levapor based modification of the plant, the plant is consistently achieving required treatment goals of COD at the secondary clarifier outlet.
|Wastewater flow||1440 m3/day|
|Inlet COD||2500 – 3000 ppm|
|Outlet COD||60 – 180 ppm|
The project offered following benefits to the client.
- Achieving higher treatment capacity for the same existing infrastructure by doing oleochemical wastewater treatment
- Minimal modification of existing infrastructure
- Remarkable process stability achieving consistent COD at the outlet within 60-180 ppm range as per client’s requirement
- No additional space or civil construction requirement for further upgradation.
Amit Christian, having MSc degree in Environmental Science from UK university is in the field of water and wastewater treatment from 1998. He has expertise in MBBR and IFAS process design, engineering and process start up /commissioning.