The prestigious ski resort situated in the Orlicke Mountain range in Czech Republic is a 40 bed hotel with in house restaurant. It is a famous tourist attraction during the winter season experiencing a surge in the visitors during peak period reaching up to 110 people every day so we were consulted for hotel wastewater treatment systems
The Problem - Hotel wastewater treatment systems
The hotel management had already installed one sewage treatment plant for the treatment of the sewage generated within the premises. However, due to high oil and grease content of the restaurant effluent and due to high hydraulic loading during the peak period, the plant never performed as per their requirement and having serious issues meeting the treatment goals as per stringent EU standards.
- Serious issue of oil and grease present in the sewage even covering entire clarifier during the operation
- Due to ski resort , lower temperature combining with the peak flows posing additional burden of achieving results under lower liquid temperatures reducing biological activities of the micro organisms.
THE SOLUTION Levapor IFAS Upgrade
- During our extensive pilot testing and R & D for the project spanning over two years period, it was found that:
- A combination of Anaerobic and Aerobic process provides better performance compared to Aerobic only step due to hydrolysis of toxic organics during anaerobic steps
- Immobilization of micro organisms using Levapor carriers offer higher process performance and remarkable process stability with very high level of nitrification and denitrification despite presence of toxic inhibitory active agro chemicals in the effluent.
- Due to high FOG content in the inlet wastewater, the plant was facing serious issues in removing FOG from the wastewater. Even the clarifier was also experiencing serious deposits of FOG on its surface during winter peak period.
- However after adding Levapor carriers, due to specific properties of the carriers, specific micro-organisms responsible for the degradation of FOG were established within the reactor and resulted in remarkable biodegradation of FOG present in the wastewater. The results were so evident that during the next winter season after addition of Levapor carriers, the deposition of FOG on secondary clarifier surface was eliminated completely.
- Despite daily fluctuations in the hydraulic as well as organic load during peak winter season, the plant also stabilized remarkable due to presence of highly active biomass on Levapor carrier surface resulting in higher COD reduction and nitrification compared to suspended growth only reactor meeting the treatment goals through-out the winter period operation at lower liquid temperatures.
Benefits of Upgrading to Levapor IFAS Process
- Stable operation of the plant under higher loading rates during peak season
- Meeting treatment goals consistently
- Removal of FOG accumulation on the clarifier surface completely over the period of time
Amit Christian, having MSc degree in Environmental Science from UK university is in the field of water and wastewater treatment from 1998. He has expertise in MBBR and IFAS process design, engineering and process start up /commissioning.